The Independent Living Skills Program – Educational Corner
- 90% of all sports-related eye injuries could be prevented with proper eye protection.
- Eye protection should be worn in the following sports:
Tips for working with blind and visually impaired consumers
- Identify yourself as soon as you enter the room
- When speaking to people, use names of all involved in the conversation.
- Always let the consumer know that you are leaving.
- Avoid words like “over there”, “straight ahead” when giving directions.
- Leave furniture and personal items in the same place. This helps orient the consumer to the environment.
- Eliminate throw rugs.
- Keep all doors either completely open or closed.
- Never put food or liquids down in form of the consumer without letting him/her know they are there.
- Provide as much information as possible when serving food. Use a clock reference point describing the food on the plate or items on the table such as “your meat is at 6:00 and your vegetables are at 9:00.”